LOW VISION DOCUMENTS TO DOWNLOAD
Children with Low Vison
A recent multidisciplinary meeting of people working in visual impairment has heard that many children are slipping through the net and not being brought to the attention of Education Officers.
The Education Leeds Visually Impaired Team consists of teachers trained in the teaching of visually impaired children and young people. They provide support at home and at school from birth to school leaving age.
If the child does not fall within the Education Leeds Catchment they will still take the details and pass them on to the relevant authority.
Optometrists are urged to take note of the services available, the referral criteria (below) and forward the children’s names to Education Leeds, even if they are under the HES.
Referral Criteria for Involvement (one or more sufficient)
The child should
1. Present an identifiable ophthalmic condition which has the potential to interfere with development and learning
2. Distance acuity of 6/18 or worse
3. Near acuity of N14 or worse
4. A restriction in the field of vision
5. Problems in scanning, depth perception, tracking, colour perception, habd-eye coordination or contrast sensitivity