GP Practices covered by Choice OfficeReferrals in York (Updated 01/07/2021)
York referral criteria
Link to the cataract referral form above. Harrogate now uses the same form and points system as York and the form is common across North Yorkshire
MECS (Minor Eye Conditions Service)
For all MECS referrals, check the patient does not have any red flags first and is suitable for the service.
Patients in York can self-refer to a high street optician participating in this service. They are triaged in 24hours to be seen within 48hours (sooner if urgent symptoms are identified at triage). Patients should access the website http://www.hbsuk.net
ROUTINE referrals (18+weeks)
Routine NHS referrals- complete a typed letter or GOS18
Routine NHS cataract referrals- complete a Direct Cataract Referral form with the patient
- Email the above via a secure nhs.net email account to the Choice Office at firstname.lastname@example.org if the patient’s GP is within the catchment area.
(Please note if the patient’s GP address is not within the catchment area for Choice and/or the patient is under 18years old, only then send the referral to the patient’s GP. For private referrals, send the details directly to the private provider if known or the GP).
URGENT referrals (1-2weeks)
- Currently, call the York Hospital Eye Clinic emergency nurse practitioner on 01904 726758 (Mon to Fri 9am- 5pm, weekends 10am-2.30pm) or if out of hours telephone the on-call Ophthalmologist via the switchboard on 01904 631313 and ask for the ‘eye doctor’.
Further advice can be provided and the patient can be booked into a specific clinic.
Ideally, also send the patient with a typed letter or GOS18 of the findings/ suspected diagnosis as there is no working fax machine or HES referral email address at present.
EMERGENCY referrals (Same Day)
- Call the York Hospital Eye Clinic emergency nurse practitioner ASAP on 01904 726758 (Mon to Fri 9am- 5pm, weekends 10am-2.30pm) or if out of hours telephone the on-call Ophthalmologist via the switchboard on 01904 631313 and ask for the ‘eye doctor’.
This allows for a clinical dialogue regarding the patient’s presentation and history. They can arrange to see the patient, avoiding A&E and delays. If possible, also send the patient with the findings/ suspected diagnosis.
1 March 2021
Referral Criteria for Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust (HDFT)
As a reminder, please see below information of how to access the urgent and emergency Ophthalmology Service at HDFT
Emergency/Urgent Ophthalmology advice/referral:
• 9am-5pm Monday to Friday – Telephone the Urgent Referral Triage service (staffed
by trained advanced Ophthalmic practitioners)
Tel. 01423 553009. Once you have spoken to the triage service, please email the details to:
• Out of hours/Weekends/Bank Holidays – call hospital switchboard who will direct you to the on-call Doctor (note: 1pm onwards Saturday until 9am Monday this is a Dr based in York Hospital) Tel. 01423 885959
• Wet ARMD referrals should continue to be emailed within 1 working day to:
email@example.com using the attached form.
Cataract referral form for North Yorkshire practices:
Please find up todate GP Practice lists for our regions