Current research projects
TELESCOPE – genetic screening study for dry AMD
Kweku Koramoah, Clinical Trials Associate at Gyroscope Therapeutics Limited is seeking to recruit interested optometrists to participate in their genetic screening study.Details are as follows:
- The study consists of 1 visit, where patients who provide their informed consent will be asked to provide a saliva sample that is shipped to a central laboratory for genotyping.
- If the patient meets the pre-specified genotype criteria, they may be able to enroll in an ongoing interventional gene therapy clinical trial.
- Compensation is provided to the participating optometrist and patient for each sample received. Costs for saliva sample shipping and genotyping will be covered by Gyroscope Therapeutics Ltd.
Of note, optometrists who are interested in participating in this study do not need prior clinical research experience. Notwithstanding, considering the current impact of COVID-19 and due to further advice from the College of Optometrists, OFNC and the UK optical bodies that optical practices should only remain open to provide urgent and essential care, at this moment in time we are only collecting feasibility information in order to ascertain potential interest once the COVID-19 situation abates.
All subjects must fulfill the following criteria to be included in this observational protocol:
- Aged ≥18 years
- Able and willing to give consent to study participation
- Presence of unilateral or bilateral GA due to AMD
Subjects will not be eligible for the study if they meet any of the following criteria:
- Evidence or history of neovascular AMD or diabetic retinopathy in either eye
- Previous intravitreal drug delivery [either eye] received within 4 weeks or 5 half-lives whichever is longer, before the study visit
- Participation in another research study involving an investigational product within the previous 4 weeks or 5 half-lives whichever is longer, from the study visit
- Received gene/cell therapy at any time previously