Requesting an Egress account
Both NHS England and NHSBSA are aware that some contractors and locum clinicians have been struggling to set up new NHS mail accounts via the Fast Track Process and that this is causing significant issues at the practice level, particularly in sending referral letters to GPs and Secondary Care.
In order to alleviate this acute issue of referrals, NHSBSA is able to send ‘Egress’ invitation emails to any Locum Clinician and GOS Contractors that are unable to obtain an NHS mail account. These ‘Egress’ invitation emails will enable each recipient to set up an ‘Egress’ account using their current non-NHS email address and allow them to send documents and emails securely to NHS mail recipients. It is free of charge and can be set up with very little effort by the end-user once an invitation email is received. Whilst an NHS mail account would certainly allow more versatility and is the preferred option, we are hopeful that ‘Egress’ users will be able to send referral letters, which GPs and Secondary Care can receive securely as they would do via NHS mail.
To request an ‘Egress’ invitation email, each user should complete the following online form(https://forms.office.com/r/SzaDjwpZxM) and they should receive an invitation within a week.
Applying for NHS Email
NHS England has announced that their preferred method of communication for key guidance is nhs.net. Every practice should have an NHS email account. These are free and straightforward to apply for.
The National Optometry Team issue nhs.net accounts to all optometry contractors in England.
For those contractors that have already applied and been issued with an nhs.net account, can you please complete the form so an accurate record for each practice is collected HERE
If you submitted an application to the NE local team and are yet to be issued with an NHS.net address (Please check your SPAM in case it has been issued) you will still be required to apply via this new route (please check with the local team before applying as our records indicate there are no outstanding applications).
- Please complete the application template via the link below or follow the attached QR code which will take you straight to the website. The template can be completed via any device.
- Populate the template online. HERE
Please note that all fields on the application template must be completed. You will be unable to submit incomplete forms
- NHS Digital will contact contractors directly with the information provided to go through the authentication process and set the accounts up
- In most cases, applications will be processed within one working week of the application being received
- NHS Business Services Authority (NHSBSA), will be notified of all new accounts and existing nhs.net addresses via the form and will share these updates with regional teams
Please note that the application will result in the issue of x1 shared mailbox for the practice with x2 individual nhs.net accounts.