- Determine if the patient is suitable for a MECS (Minor Eye Condition Service) assessment using the MECS triage form.
- If the patient is suitable then either conduct the MECS assessment, if accredited or call / signpost to a local participating practice for onward management of the patient.
- Please use the new platform (Dec 2020) Opera for completing MECS assessments.
Referral following a MECS assessment
- If after conducting a MECS assessment, referral to secondary care is deemed appropriate, refer as below:
- Emergency referrals Call (Ophthalmology Triage Nurse) on 01226 431728
- Urgent (Non Emergency) Referrals please either call the above Triage Nurse or Email: email@example.com using a NHS mail account. (Please request a read and/or delivery receipt for each referral).
- Routine Referrals to Barnsley Ophthalmology will be sent automatically through Optomanager IT platform.
- Emergency Referrals Call (A&E – ask for on-call Ophthalmologist) on 01709 423976.
- Urgent Referral, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org using a NHS mail account. (Please request a read and/or delivery receipt for each referral).
- Routine referral to Rotherham Ophthalmology will be sent automatically through the Optomanager IT platform.