- Determine if the patient is suitable for a MECS (Minor Eye Condition Service) assessment using the MECS triage form.
- If the patient is suitable then either conduct the MECS assessment, if accredited or call / signpost to a local participating practice for onward management of the patient.
- Please use the Opera IT platform for completing a MECS assessments.
Referral following a MECS assessment
- If after conducting a MECS assessment, referral to secondary care is deemed appropriate, refer as below:
- At the end of completing a MECS assessment on Opera, there will be several options for each of the following:
- Refer On
- Follow Up
- Please select the appropriate option.
- NB. If referring onwards, please go back to the Manage Referrals section on Opera, and select the Red Tab for completion of referral.
MECS related documents
Barnsley Optometry First Document