COVID 19 – Information for the General Public regarding provision of Eye Care
Following recent announcements by the government, and in line with advice from professional organisations, most opticians will now only be offering restricted services to cover essential or urgent eye care.
Examples of essential or urgent eye care:
- your vision has suddenly changed or become blurry
- you have a painful or red eye
- you have been advised to attend a practice by NHS 111 or
another healthcare professional for urgent eye care
- you have broken or lost your glasses and need a replacement
pair to function
- you have a problem with your contact lenses
In most cases you will be asked to contact your optician by telephone to decide how best to meet your needs.
Opticians may be able to post or deliver contact lens products or spectacles where necessary.
Please bear in mind that some opticians may be unable to offer any service at this time, for example if they or their family members are in vulnerable groups. Where this is the case, you should be directed to an alternative eye care provider.